VR - experimental support

yatskiy

Re: Oculus Rift - experimental support

#2091 Post by yatskiy » 18 Dec 2022 17:57

yatskiy wrote: 16 Nov 2022 20:43 Hello everyone) Will there be photo mode support? At the moment, the photo mode can not be used, because I see the screen with two eyes. Taking into account the update of the photo mode from 1.46 and the addition of "photo hunting", I would very much like to use this mode in VR without any problems in the future to close new photo points on the map. Otherwise, players who use VR on a regular basis in ETS2 (like me, for example) are completely deprived of this new feature.
In fact, simply switching directly from VR to a monitor in the game would be a great solution. Now, when switching to the monitor and turning on the photo mode, I see the same double picture on the monitor
Up
Sorry but I really want to know, whether there are any plans to support the photo mode in VR in the future (for example, a quick switch to monitor mode, which does not work now). I really want to enjoy the new features regarding photo mode, gallery and photo hunting
KingOfTheRoad77

#2092 Post by KingOfTheRoad77 » 20 Dec 2022 14:04

Hi :)

Well - forget about the 7900 XTX for ETS2/ATS in VR:
Sadly, VR isn't working at all with the new Radeon 😪
Or better said: It is working - but very very badly stuttering and lagging, something below 20 FPS.
And not related to the truck sim's only, or to OpenXR, but in SteamVR with black room and white grid already.

So, further benchmarks on my test routes don't make any sense at all.

Means:
VR with NextGen-GPU's is working (almost) well with NVidia only - although it is having some minor lag issue as well. But hopefully, this one will be resolved soon - or at least sooner than the much severe ones on AMD GPU's. Seems, as if AMD has totally given up on VR support for the time being.
obisky

#2093 Post by obisky » 22 Dec 2022 16:13

I have been hoping for a long time to be able to enjoy ETS2 in VR in a smooth and beautiful way, I hoped at the time of oculus DK2. Without stopping trying to upgrade my PC and my VR headsets, I finally reached my goal with a 4090 and the 13th generation of Intel.

I now have a very fluid game, with promod and very beautiful with high and ultra settings.

I would like to thank everyone who participated in making this immersive experience what it is today. You make me happy. It's a real pleasure to be behind the wheel of these machines.
Thanks again to you.
bigbossman

#2094 Post by bigbossman » 28 Dec 2022 22:15

Problem
Experiencing a graphics bug that I'm not quite sure what to call - flickering/shimmering?
The kicker is that this only happen when VR is 'active' in game. In other words, the problem goes away if:
  • I switch to a camera angle where VR isn't used, such as the dev freecam
  • The VR headset is off my head for long enough to go into sleep/standby mode (demonstrated in video below)

Videos
Note: I zoomed/cropped to try and highlight the issue. Please view in fullscreen on highest quality available.

Compare any object in VR ON to the same object in VR OFF (e.g. hood mirror, umbrella table). The wireframe view on the right side helps.
(VR OFF = headset is in standby/sleep mode.)

Individual videos make it really clear - especially the wireframe on vs off.
VR On | VR Off
VR On (Wireframe) | VR Off (Wireframe)

Flickering/shimmering is especially evident in the crosswalk, railroad xing, trees, cabin air vent, and hood mirror.
Attempted Solutions
I've tried a handful of the typically recommended fixes (updating things in the game settings, config file, nvidia control panel, Oculus debugger, etc.) but to no avail.
Seeing a friend's gameplay without this problem on a nearly identical setup leads me to believe that that might be a solution.

Setup
  • Quest 2 w/Link Cable
  • 3060 Ti
Komat
SCS Software

#2095 Post by Komat » 29 Dec 2022 10:17

yatskiy wrote: 18 Dec 2022 17:57 Sorry but I really want to know, whether there are any plans to support the photo mode in VR in the future (for example, a quick switch to monitor mode, which does not work now). I really want to enjoy the new features regarding photo mode, gallery and photo hunting
Not in the near future. In general the photomode object tracking is currently broken even in some non-VR multi-monitor setups.
bigbossman wrote: 28 Dec 2022 22:15 Experiencing a graphics bug that I'm not quite sure what to call - flickering/shimmering?
This is caused by movements in the tracking data. The game does not apply any filtering to the pose data it receives from the VR so if it receives tiny movements, the in game view will move in the same way which will make the aliasing issues on various places with high differences in color or contrasts very visible. A way to reduce visibility of the artifacts would be to use higher supersampled anti-aliasing. Another thing would be to try to make the pose signal more stable by improving conditions for the tracking however even if there was no noise in the tracking, you are never entirely motionless.
bigbossman

#2096 Post by bigbossman » 29 Dec 2022 19:35

Komat wrote: 29 Dec 2022 10:17
bigbossman wrote: 28 Dec 2022 22:15 Experiencing a graphics bug that I'm not quite sure what to call - flickering/shimmering?
This is caused by movements in the tracking data. The game does not apply any filtering to the pose data it receives from the VR so if it receives tiny movements, the in game view will move in the same way which will make the aliasing issues on various places with high differences in color or contrasts very visible. A way to reduce visibility of the artifacts would be to use higher supersampled anti-aliasing. Another thing would be to try to make the pose signal more stable by improving conditions for the tracking however even if there was no noise in the tracking, you are never entirely motionless.
Pardon my ignorance, but how can I use higher SSAA and/or stabilize the pose signal?

Would higher SSAA be related to the in-game Scaling setting and/or `uset r_manual_stereo_buffer_scale` value in config.cfg?
In the below video, I've set Scaling = 400% and r_manual_stereo_buffer_scale = "1.70". The flickering/shimmering is still quite evident (and even more so when looking through the VR headset, as I'm sure you can imagine).

I really appreciate your help! I've been messing with what seems like endless settings and just can't seem to make any progress.
Komat
SCS Software

#2097 Post by Komat » 30 Dec 2022 09:41

bigbossman wrote: 29 Dec 2022 19:35 Would higher SSAA be related to the in-game Scaling setting and/or `uset r_manual_stereo_buffer_scale` value in config.cfg?
Both of them apply SSAA however the r_manual_stereo_buffer_scale is the one intended for doing SSAA in VR and should work better. Alternatively the VR systems usually provide some way to override the reported resolution which is basically equivalent to what r_manual_stereo_buffer_scale does. Oculus has "Pixels Per Display Pixel Override" in the "Oculus Debug Tool".
In the below video, I've set Scaling = 400% and r_manual_stereo_buffer_scale = "1.70". The flickering/shimmering is still quite evident
If you had both settings set at the same time then it might be better to set the scaling to 100% and the buffer scale to 3.4. That should render in the same effective resolution as this combination of both parameters however it would provide the full resolution image to the VR API and the VR system might apply higher quality downscaling filters than what the game does for the Scaling. Additional thing you can try is to enable is the SMAA in combination with the SSAA which might also smooth out some transitions however in general the AA options in our games are somewhat limited. While the SSAA can provide very good anti-aliasing, it needs sufficient amount of pixels which quickly becomes very demanding in terms of GPU performance.
Hitrulle

#2098 Post by Hitrulle » 31 Dec 2022 10:59

Hello! please help me to solve the problem of fuzzy image outside the cab of the truck, i am using oculus quest 2 airlink. How to increase the clarity of the picture or the range of drawing details? and it is possible to increase fov? Thank you.
Komat
SCS Software

#2099 Post by Komat » 03 Jan 2023 09:52

Hitrulle wrote: 31 Dec 2022 10:59 Hello! please help me to solve the problem of fuzzy image outside the cab of the truck, i am using oculus quest 2 airlink. How to increase the clarity of the picture or the range of drawing details? and it is possible to increase fov? Thank you.
Ensure that the in-game Scaling setting is not set to anything below 100% and that r_manual_stereo_buffer_scale parameter in the config is not lower than 1.0. You can also try to disable the depth of field effect in the game settings to remove some artificial blur. The FOV depends on your HMD and can not be changed.
yatskiy

#2100 Post by yatskiy » 06 Jan 2023 22:24

Komat wrote: 29 Dec 2022 10:17 Not in the near future. In general the photomode object tracking is currently broken even in some non-VR multi-monitor setups.
Thank you very much for your reply! It's sad to hear this, a small layer of gameplay is skipped because of this, but at least I know that I should not expect this in the near future.

Anyway, thanks for your hard work, it's been an amazing VR experience, I haven't played the flat version for like a year now.

Return to “General discussion about the game”