VR - experimental support

Komat
SCS Software

Re: Oculus Rift - experimental support

#1991 Post by Komat » 26 Jul 2022 13:58

stmalk wrote: 16 Jul 2022 21:45 I wonder if that issue could be possible fixed in the future?
Yes. That issue is fixable however it requires bigger changes so I am waiting for some other large changes to be finished first.
Is there any parameter to maybe lower some setting to downgrade it so it at least reflections show the nature around, but not cars/trucks?
The problem lies in the way the planar reflection is generated regardless of its content. Unless the HMD SW provides some way to override the FOVs reported to the game to make it symmetrical, the only thing you can do is set the "Weather Quality" in the game options to medium. That will use the reflection cubemap containing just the skybox so you get at least some reflection. The game normally blends from the planar reflection to this cube when you are driving up or down hill.
Zemith wrote: 24 Jul 2022 13:33 Anyone know how to do inside/interior cabin zoom while in VR?
The cabin zoom works by changing the FOV so it is not operational in situations where FOV is fixed like VR or some multi-monitor setups.
Zemith

#1992 Post by Zemith » 26 Jul 2022 14:24

Komat wrote: 26 Jul 2022 13:58 The cabin zoom works by changing the FOV so it is not operational in situations where FOV is fixed like VR or some multi-monitor setups.
Makes sense. Thanks for the explanation.

Also, thanks for making VR support. Being an IT worker with an "itch for trucking", VR mode definitely scratches the itch better than TrackIR with ultrawide did :)

I'm curious: Are you seeing more VR players in ATS/ETS2 during last year or so, now that cheaper VR headsets have arrived in the market, especially Quest 2?
Komat
SCS Software

#1993 Post by Komat » 28 Jul 2022 15:39

The VR version for both games is now compatible with 1.45.

It changes the way the game selects the size of textures used to render water reflections to improve the resolution and reduce artifacts. While previous versions scaled it based on window size, this version calculates it based on FOV of your HMD and r_hmd_water_pixels_per_deg so you can tweak it.
dhrto

#1994 Post by dhrto » 30 Jul 2022 06:10

And thanks again for the quick update of the VR branch @Komat !

It is very nice to know of new developments / tweaks to the VR branch. Can you share some more info about this new r_hmd_water_pixels_per_deg parameter? What is the default value? And is higher = better / more detail? Thanks in advance!
System specs: Ryzen 5800X3D, RTX3080 (no OC), Varjo Aero (using OpenXR through OpenComposite instead of SteamVR), 32 GB DDR3200, Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2 TB, Win10. And most importantly: vanilla game, no mods.
JC_YYZ

#1995 Post by JC_YYZ » 31 Jul 2022 21:37

I figured I would post this VR question in this topic to see if anyone has experienced the same.

I have a Reverb G2/3080ti/12900K setup and I am struggling with a very specific issue (moreso in ATS than ETS2). I haven't gone crazy with the settings (125% scaling in-game) and I experience buttery smooth performance except when I turn on the headlights. As soon as the first or second stage of the lights go on, I get a judder that doesn't go away until the lights go off. This is especially prevalent in ATS - with any truck. Has anyone experienced this? Is there a setting or some other option that I need to look at?

Just thought I would ask here since there seems to be tons of VR experience here.

Thanks in advance.
KingOfTheRoad77

#1996 Post by KingOfTheRoad77 » 02 Aug 2022 10:18

JC_YYZ wrote: 31 Jul 2022 21:37Has anyone experienced this? Is there a setting or some other option that I need to look at?
Sorry, I can't confirm from my side. No special, negative side effects from headlights.
Are you using any mod, or vanilla headlights?
dhrto

#1997 Post by dhrto » 02 Aug 2022 10:50

Here also no judder/stutter when running with headlights on. Practically no difference in performance between on and off for me.
System specs: Ryzen 5800X3D, RTX3080 (no OC), Varjo Aero (using OpenXR through OpenComposite instead of SteamVR), 32 GB DDR3200, Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2 TB, Win10. And most importantly: vanilla game, no mods.
JC_YYZ

#1998 Post by JC_YYZ » 02 Aug 2022 12:39

Thanks both! I’m going to dig through my mods list again. There might be something I’m missing that’s affecting the sim when the lights are on.

If I find anything, I’ll post the results here.
Zemith

#1999 Post by Zemith » 02 Aug 2022 18:25

Has anyone found a way to do better antialiasing / avoid the flickering / jagged lines?

For example, if there's a power line, or a road marking that goes across the road, instead of it going like this:
---------
It goes like this:
__----_----__--- etc

I tried Nvidia Control Panel's "3D settings" for eurotrucks2.exe, setting FXAA to On, and "Antialiasing - Transparency" to 4x, but it doesn't seem to make a difference.

I also tried with Reshade, which since version 5 should support VR. I can't toggle Reshade (or its settings) while in VR, I need to remove the headset so I'm "back on the PC"-kinda, from where I can open Reshade and/or toggle it. But I can't see it make any difference to my game. According to this, Reshade only supports SteamVR and not Oculus runtime: https://reshade.me/forum/troubleshootin ... culus-link
Is there anything to be done about that, like running ETS2 with non-Oculus runtime? Or will that kill performance?
I was kinda hoping that reshade/sweetfx had some SMAA/FXAA that could fix my issue, now that Nvidia COntrol Panel cannot.

I also tried this guide: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxU71KJ ... rceujunior
Basically downloading some "Ultimate ASI Loader" (dinput8.dll) and copy into win_x64 folder, and rename dxgi.dll to dxgi.asi, not sure why the renaming is necessary but the youtube video does it.

All that flickering messes with my brain so I can't go on trucking for more than an hour max.
Komat
SCS Software

#2000 Post by Komat » 02 Aug 2022 18:43

dhrto wrote: 30 Jul 2022 06:10 Can you share some more info about this new r_hmd_water_pixels_per_deg parameter? What is the default value? And is higher = better / more detail?
There is some extra info in the first post of the thread. The default value is 20 and it is basically number of pixels per degree of FOV of the HMD so higher is better.
JC_YYZ wrote: 31 Jul 2022 21:37 As soon as the first or second stage of the lights go on, I get a judder that doesn't go away until the lights go off. This is especially prevalent in ATS - with any truck. Has anyone experienced this? Is there a setting or some other option that I need to look at?
The headlights cover a large part of the visible area. Depending on the HMD resolution and rendering scale they might consume a fairly large amount of fillrate and potentially become a bottleneck.
Zemith wrote: 02 Aug 2022 18:25 According to this, Reshade only supports SteamVR and not Oculus runtime: https://reshade.me/forum/troubleshootin ... culus-link
ETS2 and ATS support OpenVR (i.e. SteamVR) when launched using -openvr. I did not do any benchmarking however the performance is likely to be similar. One possible issue is that some parts in the game rendering, such as the rain reflection, currently can not deal with HMD which as different FOV between both eyes. When using Oculus API the game can force the same FOV so things work, OpenVR does not provide way to do that that so the reflection might not work properly depending on the HMD geometry.

Return to “General discussion about the game”