VR - experimental support

KingOfTheRoad77

Re: Oculus Rift - experimental support

#2001 Post by KingOfTheRoad77 » 03 Aug 2022 11:10

Hi everybody,

in order not to make this post tl;dr, and has I just followed other peoples instructions:

ETS2 / ATS are generally working with OpenXR now ! :D

https://community.openmr.ai/t/euro-truc ... 2/33210/22

Detailed installation instructions can be followed here:
https://community.openmr.ai/t/euro-truc ... 2/33210/15

=> I finally get absolutely smooth 75 FPS everywhere 🤗 🤠 🥳
(At least, I hope so - didn't check more than that one route from Everett to Bellingham for the moment, and in ATS only; ETS2 still pending.)

It generally should work with other headsets, too, after all I understood.
There are two major links on GitLab:
Master, for Oculus apparently: https://gitlab.com/znixian/OpenOVR/-/tree/master
Other HMD: https://gitlab.com/znixian/OpenOVR/-/tree/openxr

Everything else as linked above already.

GL :)

🥳🥳🥳
Zemith

#2002 Post by Zemith » 03 Aug 2022 16:31

KingOfTheRoad77 wrote: 03 Aug 2022 11:10 Hi everybody,

in order not to make this post tl;dr, and has I just followed other peoples instructions:

ETS2 / ATS are generally working with OpenXR now ! :D
Does it actually work with Oculus Quest 2, or does it require one of those Pimax headsets?

I've tried to follow the guide best I could, but I'm not having much luck.
It only works somewhat if I use SteamVR (the setting in PimaxXR, the other option is "PimaxXR").
Once I'm in ETS2, I can ctrl+f2 and get the menu from OpenXR Toolkit.

But I can only get into ETS2 if using SteamVR, and it seems the performance is worse somehow, than before when I was just using "-oculus" launch options and using Oculus Link and not going through SteamVR.

If I set PimaXR in PimaxXR Runtime, I get this error when launching ETS2:
PimaxXR.png
Also I cannot seem to get into the whole "Oculus desktop"-thing on the headset, and my Oculus software on PC also complains that it's no longer set as default OpenXR runtime.
JC_YYZ

#2003 Post by JC_YYZ » 03 Aug 2022 17:20

I actually followed the per-game installation instructions last night for my Reverb G2, adding the required .dll file in the proper folder and I was up and running, totally bypassing the SteamVR program. Perhaps try the per-game install with the .dll. All you need to do I additional to that is create the .ini file with the shader line and you should be up and running without the need for SteamVR.
Zemith

#2004 Post by Zemith » 03 Aug 2022 18:35

JC_YYZ wrote: 03 Aug 2022 17:20 I actually followed the per-game installation instructions last night for my Reverb G2, adding the required .dll file in the proper folder and I was up and running, totally bypassing the SteamVR program. Perhaps try the per-game install with the .dll. All you need to do I additional to that is create the .ini file with the shader line and you should be up and running without the need for SteamVR.
Does it give you better performance then?

Did you install any of the other Pimax tools that is linked?

Reverb G2 uses DisplayPort or something, right? Quest 2 uses Oculus Link over USB or Wi-Fi, so I think maybe that might conflict a bit since the Oculus software needs to receive the signal, encode/compress it and send it over usb.
JC_YYZ

#2005 Post by JC_YYZ » 03 Aug 2022 19:01

Zemith wrote: 03 Aug 2022 18:35
JC_YYZ wrote: 03 Aug 2022 17:20 I actually followed the per-game installation instructions last night for my Reverb G2, adding the required .dll file in the proper folder and I was up and running, totally bypassing the SteamVR program. Perhaps try the per-game install with the .dll. All you need to do I additional to that is create the .ini file with the shader line and you should be up and running without the need for SteamVR.
Does it give you better performance then?

Did you install any of the other Pimax tools that is linked?

Reverb G2 uses DisplayPort or something, right? Quest 2 uses Oculus Link over USB or Wi-Fi, so I think maybe that might conflict a bit since the Oculus software needs to receive the signal, encode/compress it and send it over usb.
I have noticed better performance as I was having some juddering issues (I posted about it a few posts up). It seemed to solve the issue.

As for Pimax, I don’t see any of those tools, so I’m not sure what you’re referring to. I used the second link in the post to get the non-oculus version of the .dll and then installed following the instructions. Bypassing SteamVR seems to help and having the OpenVR tools helps as well, adding some great options (NIS/FSR).
KingOfTheRoad77

#2006 Post by KingOfTheRoad77 » 03 Aug 2022 19:13

@Zemith
Sorry for having forgotten to mention that before, that PimaxXR is for Pimax HMD's only. You need Pimax' HMD PiTool driver for it to work, and it probably is compatible with Pimax HMD's only, for sure ;)

If you're using any other HMD than a Pimax, then you probably shouldn't (need to) install the PimaxXR Runtime. Best case is, that it is pretty useless - worst case, it conflicts with anything of your Oculus.

I agree with @JC_YYZ :
Just do the per-game installation of the DLL, install the OpenXR Toolkit, add the .ini file with “invertUsingShaders=true” manually, and you should be fine already, normally.
Might also be, that you'll need the Oculus version files from the master branch for your Quest.
Zemith

#2007 Post by Zemith » 03 Aug 2022 20:48

@KingOfTheRoad77 thank you for the follow up and clarification 😊

I wonder if there’s even a point in using this “bypass SteamVR”-method for Oculus Quest then, since I believe that’s what “-oculus” launch option already does. When I launch ETS2 with -oculus, there’s no sign of SteamVR anywhere. I think it sends the data straight to Oculus Link (OpenXR perhaps?).

I guess the best approach now for Queat 2 users is using -openvr launch option with SteamVR, and then hook up ReShade/SweetFX (which requires SteamVR), for the antialiasing. And a beefed up GPU 😂 My RTX2070 is barely suitable, if I lower shadows, mirror and grass. The rest I can keep high, but I’m down sampling the pixel count a bit so lacking some sharpness.
dhrto

#2008 Post by dhrto » 03 Aug 2022 20:58

I can confirm the OpenXR mod works wonders with my HP Reverb G2. See my post a couple of pages back (also includes instructions): viewtopic.php?p=1702571#p1702571
System specs: Ryzen 5800X3D, RTX3080 (no OC), Varjo Aero (using OpenXR through OpenComposite instead of SteamVR), 32 GB DDR3200, Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2 TB, Win10. And most importantly: vanilla game, no mods.
Zemith

#2009 Post by Zemith » 04 Aug 2022 08:11

Got it working with Quest 2.

I did both the "per game" install of OpenComposite, and the system-wide, because I kept getting the error that I screenshotted in a previous post. But I think that error is related to the Quest 2 not being connected to the Oculus Link software, so perhaps the system-wide install of opencomposite is not necessary after all.

In steam I launch ETS2 with "-openvr", and it seems to bypass SteamVR now. The performance is much better than it was in SteamVR, but so far the performance seems to be the same as simply using "-oculus" launch options. But I need more driving around to get a feel for it, I don't have any hard data to back me up, cause I've been switching render resolution, ingame graphic settings etc every now and then, so no useful compareable data really, only gut feeling. Even Encode Bitrate (Mbps) in Oculus Debug Tool is being fiddled with :D

If the performance is the same (which I think it is, for Quest 2 users), then there's really only a point in using "-openvr" and opencomposite, over simply "-oculus", if it's possible to improve aliasing/flickering with some of the tools, like;

1) Reshade. Which I think requires OpenVR / SteamVR, so it may not even work with OpenComposite ("ReShade only supports SteamVR, it specifically does not support the Oculus runtime.", source)

2) OpenXR-Toolkit, if this has some settings that can be used to improve aliasing/flickering and if it's possible to hook into the whole thing when running on Quest 2. I will try it tonight.

I really like my Quest 2 for the "untethered"-part, but I kinda feel like it's also an obstacle when it comes to PCVR because Oculus Link (OVR server.exe) needs to encode the video before it sends it over USB (resources!), compared to other HMD's that can just plug into a displayport or something.
dhrto

#2010 Post by dhrto » 05 Aug 2022 11:12

With 1.45 the water reflections are greatly improved in VR! Thanks again Komat!

On another note, Montana seems to be significantly resource heavier when in towns, compared to earlier map DLC's. But it is very beautiful, another step up from previous DLC's.
System specs: Ryzen 5800X3D, RTX3080 (no OC), Varjo Aero (using OpenXR through OpenComposite instead of SteamVR), 32 GB DDR3200, Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2 TB, Win10. And most importantly: vanilla game, no mods.

Return to “General discussion about the game”