How realistic is it?

Travismods

Re: How realistic is it?

#32 Post by Travismods » 21 Jun 2022 13:04

Its not. Realistic. It is missing 95% of the tasks and challenges of a day in the real life of a truck driver. There are enough comments on here going through all thats missing. The developer SCS simply does not care.
PBandJ

#33 Post by PBandJ » 21 Jun 2022 14:22

@luibee If you are looking for a game where you have to get out and go inside to eat, walk around your truck and touch every single item on it, click every switch on the dashboard, be bounced around inside your cab, crawl in the back of your sleeper and put your hotpocket in the microwave, then go outside to the restroom, do your business, wipe all parts, and return to crawl back into your bunk and pull the blanket over you, then this game may not be for you.....:)

Some expect everything to be just like driving a truck in real life, but nothing will match that unless you want to go drive in real life lol. I think the majority here enjoy it, but it all depends on what you are really looking for?
Travismods

#34 Post by Travismods » 21 Jun 2022 15:05

@PBandJ There is middleground though. ATS has basically no simulation features beyond just driving. I am sure there is some middleground between just driving and everything truckers do IRL. After all they call it a „truck simulator“. Shouldnt that include more from real life trucking than just driving?

We don‘t need everything from IRL, thats a strawman. We just need anything beyond driving from A to B and pressing job done. Its a bit disingenuous to say people are asking for IRL. The game calls itself a SIMULATOR. We should expect some simulation on par with other simulators.
PBandJ

#35 Post by PBandJ » 21 Jun 2022 15:35

It all ready has a lot better overall experience than any other truck driving game that has been advertised and you can actually drive. Now other games have been spoken of here that supposedly were to demolish ATS/ETS2 only to come out pretty dismal in most areas compared. Yes they have nice little side things such as tightening a strap, etc. etc, but other areas have just been poorly done. Maybe one day, but no so far. There is a lot more in this game than just driving from A to point B and pressing done. That is just falsification of the game. You can design your truck with accessories, paint jobs, really no limit that I can think of right off ( with Blender, but I am sure someone will jump on this lol). Numerous mods out there to add features you may be looking for, trucks, maps, sounds, etc. etc.

Yes I think there are features that can be, should be added. Hopefully SCS does a lot of it with updates. Some things I scratch my head as to why they haven't added them, but they haven't. The original poster ask if this game is realistic, I believe it is the best truck driving game available right now overall. When you look at all areas of the game. If it wasn't the best overall game, I think a few people here would have abandon it long ago. Nothing wrong with improving the game, hopefully it is even more as time goes on, but at the same time I realize no other truck driving game out here so far matches it in overall experience. Just my opinion....:)
Quark

#36 Post by Quark » 21 Jun 2022 16:42

Not only yours, its also my opinion. You can certainly overdo the praise and always see everything positive. But you can also do the exact oppossite, which is equally misleading.
Optional Features

#37 Post by Optional Features » 21 Jun 2022 19:22

PBandJ wrote: 21 Jun 2022 15:35 It all ready has a lot better overall experience than any other truck driving game that has been advertised and you can actually drive. Now other games have been spoken of here that supposedly were to demolish ATS/ETS2 only to come out pretty dismal in most areas compared. Yes they have nice little side things such as tightening a strap, etc. etc, but other areas have just been poorly done. Maybe one day, but no so far. There is a lot more in this game than just driving from A to point B and pressing done. That is just falsification of the game. You can design your truck with accessories, paint jobs, really no limit that I can think of right off ( with Blender, but I am sure someone will jump on this lol). Numerous mods out there to add features you may be looking for, trucks, maps, sounds, etc. etc.

Yes I think there are features that can be, should be added. Hopefully SCS does a lot of it with updates. Some things I scratch my head as to why they haven't added them, but they haven't. The original poster ask if this game is realistic, I believe it is the best truck driving game available right now overall. When you look at all areas of the game. If it wasn't the best overall game, I think a few people here would have abandon it long ago. Nothing wrong with improving the game, hopefully it is even more as time goes on, but at the same time I realize no other truck driving game out here so far matches it in overall experience. Just my opinion....:)
Saying it is the best trucking game out there is like saying the 1-star motel in town is the best place to sleep. A lack of competition doesn't make a product the best.

What would be accurate to say is that this is the only successful trucking game around on PC. Rig N Roll would be the next closest in terms of recent release and before that the 18WOS series.

But this isn't the best: it's not even close. A trucksim should start with realistic physics and vehicle behavior. Next would be sounds. Third would be interactivity. Fourth would be environment. Fifth would be cargo. SCS flops on all these.

The problem is no one competent has decided to challenge them.

As I have said many times, I play Farming Sim also. Farming Sim is not a trucksim, yet things that are common in FS are simply not possible in ATS. There are two people with a lowboy that can disconnect in ATS. There are probably 20 free lowboy mods for FS19 and 22.

[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
PBandJ

#38 Post by PBandJ » 21 Jun 2022 20:49

@seriousmods Then tell me what truck simulator is better than ATS/ETS2 on overall performance?
Optional Features

#39 Post by Optional Features » 21 Jun 2022 21:13

PBandJ wrote: 21 Jun 2022 20:49 @seriousmods Then tell me what truck simulator is better than ATS/ETS2 on overall performance?
There really aren't any, but there really aren't any competitors either. ATS and ETS2 pretty much stand alone in this corner of the market.

But saying it's the best provides the assumption that there is something slightly worse (a better option), and something slightly worse yet (a good product). What would those two be? There really isn't anything out there that tries to compete.

I, instead, compare SCS games to other games that feature trucks and semi trailers, but are not dedicated trucksims. In that comparison, or in general comparisons to vehicle sims in general (flight, train, bus, farming, racing, etc), SCS is way behind.

Look at all games with hopper trailers. Where does SCS rank?

Look at all games with van trailers. Where does SCS rank?

Look at all games with flatbed trailers. Where does SCS rank?

Look at all games with lowbed trailers. Where does SCS rank?

For lowbeds, you can find more realistic (detaching) mods for GTA than for ATS. That makes no sense.
PBandJ

#40 Post by PBandJ » 21 Jun 2022 21:50

So then there isn't any better trucking simulator out there right now than this one. You can pick certain items out of each game, but that isn't doing an overall comparison. That really isn't comparing games at all. I agree I would like to see things added to ATS/ETS2 from some other games, but that doesn't make this game bad.

Return to “General discussion about the game”