ATS game engine showing it's age.

Solo_Kamen

Re: ATS game engine showing it's age.

#102 Post by Solo_Kamen » 03 Jul 2017 10:28

Yes. Please not that game engine is not something you buy at grocery store. It takes many years to develop one from scratch. Imagine the game engine as a huge box with many cogs. You dont make new one every time but you open it, some cogs get added/removed/replaced.
kitt94

#103 Post by kitt94 » 03 Jul 2017 12:57

marcf wrote: 02 Jul 2017 23:58
Cadde wrote: 02 Jul 2017 21:48 Bonus points if you know the titles without a google search.

(Pictures)
Don't know
Colin McRae rally 1 or 2?
Minecraaaft
Transport tycoon deluxe / Open TTD

:D
'changing an engine for a game' isn't as simple as opening a config file and changing a variable, and some games you can't just change config files to allow a map 10 times bigger than standard and expect it to work
Carmageddon
Richard Burns Rally - this title is so good, that CMR can lick it's toes.
xXCARL1992Xx

#104 Post by xXCARL1992Xx » 03 Jul 2017 14:51

Enjoyingorc6742 wrote: 03 Jul 2017 07:41 isn't the base engine basically the same since ETS1? if it is, it is showing it's age though it still looks beautiful imho. there is a limit to what engines can do before an upgrade is needed, look at the Gamebryo engine and Bethesda Game Studios for reference.
i would say it is still the Engine from when it was first developed but upgraded continuous

It is the same with the other major engines like Frostbite, Unity, CryEngine or Unreal, all of them base still on V1 but how much of V1 there still is, that only knows the team that works on the engine
| !!!NO SUPPORT OR REQUESTS OF ANY SORT VIA PM!!! | Screenshot Thread | Steam Workshop | World of Trucks Profil |
[ external image ]
Sparky

#105 Post by Sparky » 03 Jul 2017 15:17

I don't think many people expect ATS/ETS2 to suddenly look as good as the Unreal 4 engine or the latest Frostbite engine, my original point was that the engine updating for ATS especially is too slow. Now the reason I say ATS, in particular, is that it is a better-looking game than ETS2 and the current engine can't deal with the extra detail of the scenery, in the cities and so on.

I think that ATS was and adequate jump in visual fidelity, but the performance/stability is not up to standard. I like anyone would like their games to keeping on progressing their graphics but I don't think it is that important, besides as SCS grows they will be able to advance their game engine faster so they will be able to make their game look better and better.
canuckster

#106 Post by canuckster » 03 Jul 2017 16:53

I find ATS performs better than ETS2.
A Lannister always pays his debts.
Pining to drive the Trans-Canada Highway... some eventual beautiful day.
gggp

#107 Post by gggp » 03 Jul 2017 20:42

Good thing cadde posted some pics from carma 2 , man what a awsome game

I still think there is hope for american ats to have at least * carma 2 levels of car/truck body destruction , i would be content with that level for sure but this thing is sorely needed..:

1a. An actual interior camera located inside of teh truck cabin, not this invisible legs ( rest of the truck is not rendered? ) for the games sake its ALL about trucks why hide it? performance? then its overdue an overhaul or a new engine !,at the very least no matter wich way you put it or avoid discusing it.
1b. Working and visible interior/dashboard with working dials/gauges VISIBLE FROM the exterior view ( good grief the more i type the more i feel typing for an 2000'-2001 era game lol? ...because it is and thats not bad thing on the contrary its something to be proud of...every tim e i explain or describe ats to some clueless chump the second or third question is followed by.... what engine does it run on, and i reply DOES IT MATTER? yes it does BUT ONLY as long as its not that goddamned unity .)
2. Of course farming sim 2017/2015/gta v/construction sim 2015 avatar interaction with the truck would also be more then overdue welcomed , however i would be more than CONTENT with 1.a/b just point 1 for trucks sake...scs....!!!! think of my peterbilt 579, what shold i say if someone asks me... ?? :arrow: :arrow:
Attachments
plmm.jpg
xXCARL1992Xx

#108 Post by xXCARL1992Xx » 03 Jul 2017 20:46

h4r4s3r wrote: 03 Jul 2017 20:42
1a. An actual interior camera located inside of teh truck cabin, not this invisible legs ( rest of the truck is not rendered? ) for the games sake its ALL about trucks why hide it? performance? then its overdue an overhaul or a new engine !,at the very least no matter wich way you put it or avoid discusing it.
why render useless thing if you can get a performance boost if unseen things are not rendered ?

every game today does it, Forza Motorsport for example renders only the interior and the hood you see the rest of the car isnt there if you drive first person

same with ETS2 if you are first person only the interior and the parts you see in the mirror are rendered the rest not so that the GPU/CPU doesnt have to render useless things

even the ETS2 map renders only that what you see
| !!!NO SUPPORT OR REQUESTS OF ANY SORT VIA PM!!! | Screenshot Thread | Steam Workshop | World of Trucks Profil |
[ external image ]
Tirol

#109 Post by Tirol » 15 Nov 2017 20:49

SiSL wrote: 03 Jul 2017 09:33 I think Engine is rewritten / getting updated every patch.
The problem is that although more performance is brought out, it works as if the engine has been optimized. In truth, this performance gain is at the expense of the optics. The last ATS update brought the gruesome LOD deteriorations.
xXCARL1992Xx

#110 Post by xXCARL1992Xx » 15 Nov 2017 20:50

the last patch got better lighting and they have worked on the draw distance because of NM

they havent done anything to trick the engine for more perfomance
[ external image ]

Return to “General discussion about the game”